Operating Licence for Learner Transport

Any person or organisation in South Africa that operates scholar transport, including a school, is required to have a licence. Scholar transport is regarded in law as a form of public transport for which an operating licence is applicable.

In this regard, scholar transport refers to the transportation of a learner from home (or nearby) to school and back. Transporting learners to school events such as sports fixtures or school tours is exempted from the requirement of a public operating license.

Each province has its own Transportation Board that issues permits for public transport, including scholar transport. Please note that ISASA does not issue these permits. Organisations should contact the relevant Transportation Board to obtain application forms and apply for a permit.

ISASA members can download the overview below, provided by the ISASA Policy Unit. This is not a permit application document. Application documents must be obtained from the relevant Transportation Board.

Learner Transport Licence
25.86 KB