St Andrew’s College is a leading independent boarding and day school for approximately 450 boys. Founded in 1855, the school occupies a beautiful campus in Makhanda (Grahamstown) in the historic Eastern Cape of South Africa. The school offers a wide range of academic subjects through the Independent Examinations Board and Cambridge International A-Level examinations, and is a recognised centre of distinction in South Africa and on the African continent. The school enjoys a unique and successful co-ordinate model of instruction with the Diocesan School for Girls (DSG). St Andrew’s College is focused on giving boys the confidence and skills to thrive in the modern world, and therefore offers a holistic balance of world-class sporting, cultural, environmental and community engagement opportunities.
St Andrew’s College invites candidates to apply for the position of
The Librarian will be primarily responsible for:
- Facilitating the process of connecting boys to knowledge
- Fostering a love of knowledge, books and learning
- Encouraging collaborations with other departments
- Building collections that speak to the changing needs of our boys
- Aiding accessibility of relevant information resources “anywhere, anytime”
- Encouraging and promoting reading
- Promoting the culture of leadership amongst the boys
- Teaching Information Literacy
- An innovative approach to working in a library of the future
- Ability to work with young people and communicate well with staff, students and guests
- Strong organizational skills
- Emotionally intelligent, understanding and empathetic
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to use technology to enhance the overall effectiveness of the library, including web-based methods of improving technological access to information and maintaining and searching databases
- Capable of evaluating resources and finding the best resources for addressing different questions or issues
- Ability to present information clearly and in an interesting manner
- Ability to adapt to new tools, systems, and situations as they arise
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications and experience:
- Degree or Post Graduate Diploma in Library and Information Science or equivalent
- 5 Years’ relevant experience in managing all library functions
- Fully Computer Literate
- SACE Registered recommended
An experienced educator with a passion for libraries and promoting reading with boys would also be strongly considered
Closing date: 02 May 2023
Candidates can apply by accessing and completing the
application form: https://bit.ly/SACLibrarian2023
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. The school reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post.
An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview
St Andrew’s College, in line with POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act) will attempt to ensure the confidentiality of all applicants for this role. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information but will be used in the recruitment, selection, and reporting process. By submitting your application for this position, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer.
We are committed to Employment Equity and preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the School’s Employment Equity Policy.