IBDP Mathematics and General Mathematics
- POSTING DATE: 10 May 2023
- CAMPUS: Johannesburg Campus
- SUPERVISOR: High School Principal
- START DATE: 1 August 2023
Inspire Learning & Build our better world.
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive school culture, aspires to create a sense of belonging for everyone, and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
To learn more about AISJ, our beliefs and our aspirations, please review the AISJ Journey
This position will consist of a full-time assignment which could include sections of HS Math (1, 2, 3 or 4) IBDP Mathematics (Analysis & Approaches or Application & Interpretation), High School Program Mathematics. Course allocation is dependent on scheduling needs and teacher qualifications. The High School operates on an 8-period rotating block schedule, and teachers are assigned to teach 5 of 8 blocks.
Every HS Teacher is also responsible for a homeroom cohort and our Well-Being Program is integral to our High School.
The IBDP & General Mathematics teacher should have:
- Secondary license or certification for teaching Mathematics with a preference for a master’s degree
- Successful experience teaching IB Mathematics
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers and others
- Positive attitude and proven belief that all students can learn
- Ability to differentiate instruction for all learners
- Ability to establish and participate in collaborative structures
- Proven ability to develop successful academic programs
- Proven ability to moderate assignments at all levels to ensure collective understanding of achievement
- Proven ability to use learning data to explore and improve teaching and learning practices
- Ability to engage students in language learning activities using a variety of current social media forms
- An active online profile
- Successful experiences with advisory programming
- Successful experiences with inspiring or leading innovative practices
Teachers at AISJ are expected to:
- Communicate and liaise on a regular basis with fellow team department/grade members with regards to planning, assessment, parent and community contact, subject organization and classroom issues including discipline, expectations and routines
- Moderate assignments on a regular basis
- Communicate and liaise with other school colleagues to promote social and emotional awareness
- Take an active role in the advisory of class groups
- Constructively contribute to staff meetings
- Maintain up-to-date records of assessment, attendance, planning, reports, conferences, and communication with parents
- Engage in ongoing professional development opportunities
- Establish links with the parent community to ensure that parents are kept well informed about student progress
- Assist, as required, in the development of social and emotional curricular materials
- Participate in and assist with, school events as required
Work Days: Monday through Friday – 188 (one hundred and eighty eight) days per school year
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
and Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013