Somerset College, a co-educational independent school (IEB and Cambridge) with strong Christian values, is situated on a magnificent campus between Somerset West and Stellenbosch in the Cape Winelands. The school includes a Pre-Preparatory, Preparatory and a Senior School with boarding. All spheres of Somerset College enjoy a well-established reputation for excellence. The outdoor curriculum is strong, and the renowned Trek is a 4-week outdoor adventure cherished by the Grade 9 learners.
Somerset College is strategically driven to further its reputation as an iconic destination school for students both locally and further afield. ESTEAM is one of the important focus areas of the school to equip students to thrive as relevant and worthy global citizens. Please learn more by visiting our website https://somersetcollege.org.
The Board of Somerset College seeks to appoint a dynamic new Executive Head to implement and further develop the Somerset College strategy and to oversee the entire school, with the assistance of the Business Manager and the Head of the Preparatory School.
The position requires the Executive Head to inter alia:
- have strong strategic management expertise and day-to-day business acumen in the education field
- have inspirational, visible, decisive, team-orientated leadership skills
- have a good understanding of the demands of independent education, evolving global education trends and a sound understanding of technology and how best to develop and use technology robustly in schools
- demonstrate congruence between their personal and Somerset College’s Christian values
- have a passion to ensure students become competitive, values-driven global citizens, independent thinkers, and contributors to the community at large
- have a strong ability to maintain stakeholder relationships, including those with the surrounding community
- have strong communication and problem-solving skills
- have a well-developed personal philosophy of educational excellence
- have a high EQ and a deep understanding of the responsibility and privilege attendant in guiding young people
- have at least 10 years teaching experience (or other relevant experience) of which at least three years must be in senior management
- have a recognised degree and post graduate teaching qualification
Ideally the successful candidate should be in a position to assume responsibilities on or about the end of 2023 or before such date.
Should you wish to apply for this position please email a strong motivational letter of application which indicates an alignment with the requirements listed, together with a detailed CV, and the names and contact details of three references who consent to sharing their contact details. A SACE certificate and a police clearance certificate will be required for short-listed candidates as same is included in the Employment contract that will be ultimately entered into. Address your application to the Chairman of the Board (Johan Holtzhausen), and please email it then to firstname.lastname@example.org (021 887 9602).
Deadline: 7 June 2023
Only candidates with suitable qualifications will be considered for the position. An application does not guarantee an interview. The process may be extended if the Board determines it to be necessary.
Somerset College, in line with POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act) will attempt to ensure, where reasonably possible, the confidentiality of the candidates. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information, but information will be used in the recruitment, selecting and reporting process. By submitting your application for this position, you are recognizing and accepting this disclaimer.
Applications may be submitted prior to the 7 June 2023 deadline