Oakley House School opened their SpLD Training and Support Centre on 1 July 2017. The aim is to enable students, teachers, or anyone who has an interest in inclusive practices, to expand and grow in their individual and/or professional capacity.
The Training and Support Centre is dedicated to providing courses and workshops on Specific Learning Difficulties that are relevant to best inclusive practices and speak to national and international educational developments and issues.
We have the following new online courses available:
Readers and Scribes
Aimed at anyone who is interested in assisting learners during their formal assessments.
5 CPTD points (SACE)
- Definitions of a reader, scribe and amanuensis, and why we use them.
- Documents that need to be submitted in the application of concessions and accommodations.
- The role of the READER
- The role of the SCRIBE
- General requirements
- Who qualifies for concessions and accommodations?
Attention, Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder
Suitable for education, training and development practitioners.
10 CPTD points (SACE)
- What is it?
- Who can diagnose ADHD?
- Symptoms to look out for
- Causes of ADHD
- How does ADHD impair the function of a child?
- Differential Diagnosis
- How do we treat ADHD?
- What to do with the ADHD child in my class?
This course is recommended for people with some experience in the field of education as well as for students and parents interested in working in inclusive educational settings. It offers training in management techniques specifically focusing on the role of the facilitator, specific learning difficulties, classroom strategies and practical experience in the classroom.
15 CPTD Points (SACE)
- Module 1: Inclusive education and the role of the facilitator
- Module 2: Child development and Specific Learning Difficulties
- Module 3: Classroom strategies: modifications, accommodations, and interventions
- Module 4: Practical application – case studies and time in the classroom
Watch a preview of our online courses.
For further information, contact Carien Smit: 021 713 3885 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Online Courses flyer: