The Regulations Pertaining to the National Curriculum Statement provide for programme requirements, curriculum requirements (CAPS), and assessment and promotion requirements across Grades R to 12.
There is currently some confusion to what degree the promotion and retention regulations pertain to independent schools, and whether an independent school may set higher promotion requirements than a public school.
ISASA has developed a memo to schools that addresses the following issues:
- Are the promotion and retention policies (pass and fail marks) applicable to independent schools?
- How do the requirements apply to subsidised independent schools?
- How do the requirements apply to non-subsidised independent schools?
- What is ISASA’s position on the current promotion and retention requirements?
- How is ISASA addressing the problem?