The workshop is interactive and offers content knowledge, methodologies and strategies for teaching this difficult history in the classroom. Educational resource materials will be provided. This workshop is most useful for Grade 9 Social Sciences and Grade 11 History teachers.
The course will cover the following topics, the:
- failure of the Weimar Republic.
- rise of Nazi Germany.
- outbreak of World War II.
- Holocaust (which will include detailed coverage on individual experiences, liberation, justice, theories of race and eugenics).
Each participant will receive an attendance certificate and 10 South African Council for Educators (SACE) professional development points.
Please note that all qualified Social Sciences & History teachers who attend any of the training workshops nationwide will be eligible to apply for the chance to be selected to attend a 10-day advanced training at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem from the end of December 2017 until early January 2018.
Included in this trip is the 10-day advanced training, some local sightseeing, shared double/twin accommodation on a bed-and-breakfast basis, transport to and from the airport and daily transport to and from the training venue. In addition, flights to and from Israel will be partly subsidised.
Cost: R550 per person. This cost includes comprehensive training materials and refreshments during the course.
- Dates: Saturday, 29 July 2017
- Times: 09:00 – 16:00 (08:30 – Registration)
- Venue: Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre, 1 Duncombe Road, Forest Town, Johannesburg
- Parking: Basement parking available on slip services road off Duncombe Road
- Catering: Tea/coffee, refreshments and lunch will be served
For more information or to RSVP for this event, please email Amy Barr-Sanders.
Download the Workshop Information Flyer and the application form for the Winter Seminar at Yad Vashem: