This one-day workshop (previously called Fair Employment Practices and the CCMA) assists schools in dealing with legal issues in the employment environment, including fair employment practices and disciplinary issues involving staff at a school. It gives a broad overview of important legislation all management should be aware of, as well as employment issues around dismissals and an understanding of CCMA processes.
The workshop has been designed and customised for ISASA member schools by an experienced labour/legal consultant and covers the following topics:
- Legislation impacting on the workplace e.g. protecting private information, harassment, unfair discrimination, employment equity, contractual issues
- Rights and duties of managers, employees and shop stewards/employee representatives;
- The national statutory context: overview of Labour Legislation, Codes of Practice, and CCMA Rules, Regulations and Guidelines;
- Differentiating between misconduct, incapacity and operational related dismissals, and processes for dealing with these;
- The Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA): overview of the processes, what to expect and how to prepare
The workshop uses a participative approach and the content is rooted in the daily experience of delegates to emphasise practical situations and illustrate the application of concepts, theory, law and practice in the workplace. It is for school managers and Board, senior staff members and employee/staff representatives.
Facilitator: Judith Griessel, a labour lawyer with extensive experience in the independent school sector.
Cost: R1 230.00 per delegate (R1 402.20 VAT inclusive)